Tuesday, October 1, 2013

PARIS ON FILM



Paris was the dreamy photographic feast I imagined it to be and so much more. It is definitely the type of place words fail, you really just have to go and experience it. I am so glad that I got to take this trip with my Mom- ten days in Paris to see the sights, shop, and fill ourselves with coffee and croissants, which we most definitely did!

It's been almost a month since we returned from our voyage. A few things that stand out in my mind-

Everyone there seems to be so leisurely with their time- people don't seem particularly hurried there. There are so many cafe's to just sit and relax at, people watching and sipping at tiny cups of coffee and enjoying conversations.

The ladies dress so well! I was expecting to see high fashion scary intimidating girls everywhere, like when you're in SoHo and you're walking down the street with actual models but it seemed to me that women were more casual about their dress. Not to say that they didn't look well put together, but it looked so effortless and flawless! I thought everyone wore clothes that suited their bodies and they looked so comfortable with themselves. I didn't see a ton of designer labels or too trendy types either! I loved that!

You're lucky if you get one napkin at any given restaurant and they aren't laying around for you to grab either. Ice doesn't seem to be a thing there.

People on bikes don't look like bike people, if that makes sense. I know here in Chicago bike culture is a huge thing so it was interesting to see beautifully dressed girls riding their bikes right alongside a cute old man. No Chrome bags!

Every street is beautiful. I mean, hands down. The graffiti was pretty terrible, but not as bad as the "street art" in Rome. I guess there it's more tagging than murals and murals are my preference, but I thought that even the tagging was kind of bad. I'm no expert though!

The butter. Omg, the butter. My Mom and I made a little ritual of going to the bakery near the apartment we were staying at every evening and getting a baguette to eat with butter and cheese. We ate an entire baguette every single night we were there!

The trains come about every three minutes! I was so amazed by that. THREE MINUTES! We didn't ride any buses but I thought that the public transportation there was excellent.

The only negative things I can think of are that Coke is extremely expensive there, but I believe that to be true in most of Europe and probably for the best, it can be a little difficult to find a bathroom - although they did have these public restroom pods here and there- the line for them was always ridiculous. IT'S SO EXPENSIVE. Food and shopping, but really I would be happy if all I had eaten was bread and butter because I was feasting on the culture and the sights there!

This post ended up being WAY longer than I was expecting. All I meant to say when I started writing was that I've started posting pictures of Paris on my Flickr! Take a peek at this set. In order not to be overwhelming I'm adding new photos over the next few days.

Have you been to Paris? What are your thoughts on the city? Can I see your photos?!


1 comment:

  1. I'm finally getting a chance to go through all your amazing photos of Paris. It looks like a dream. I haven't been there but I hope to go someday.... someday...

    ReplyDelete